December 11th, a day that is forever etched in the memories of so many I know and love. Words like "etched in the memories of" used to sound so dramatic to me, like someone was trying be impressive. I'm sorry I used to take phrases like that lightly, I don't anymore. They communicate what's going on deep in a person. A good guy, Luke Gullberg, passed away last year on this day, while climbing Mt. Hood. I miss him. I ache for the shadow of sadness that my family and his close friends feel. And I struggle to know what to say or do, so I weep with those who weep, mourn with those who mourn, resting in the knowing that joy comes in the morning.... though that morning is on the other side. There will be another side, but in the meantime, we live in time here and miss Luke. See you at the top, Luke... Karen... Sarah Grace... Adeline Jean Hotz... Kevin Harmon...
(for those of you who don't know the connection, he is Scott and Becky's brother, Melissa is married to Scott and my Mom is married to Rod, their father. Their mother, a wonderful woman named Karen, passed away several years ago, before my Mom and Rod married. Also, Ben and I had worked with Luke up at camp many times over the years.)
Beautifully written. You're right about strong words sounding dramatic, but then how sometimes they are all you can use to try to even just begin to convey the depth and intensity of something. And then they don't seem strong enough! Heaven is sure going to be a reunion!!
ReplyDelete