Wednesday, September 4, 2013

monks and mother theresa and who is watching

  I was running errands with tired kids and was on my last stop when my 3 year old threw yet another tantrum. There had already been a couple while we were out, one in the grocery store and in the car. At home, it's a lot easier to deal with, I plop her on the stool in the bathroom and she knows that is where she must stay until it is over. And I try to stay calm. It's easier to do than while running errands to be sure.
  So the tantrum just before going in a store took a bit to calm her, we walked inside while she was still sniffiling and I still trying to stay calm, being rather flustered from it all and as I was trying to copy some papers, a lady said to me~ how did you do that? I saw you outside and that was like a mother theresa moment... and she explained how she had so respected monks and such until she had a two year old of her own and how she would have been outside for 30 minutes with her two year old and how did I calm her down so fast? I really looked at her in disbelief as I said, well, she's still upset..... and tried to briefly explain what I did, as I was thinking, oh good grief, she was watching?! Ahh, did I do it okay and this is not feeling like a mother theresa moment (whatever that really means), I am completely distracted and trying my best to get my errand done so I can get home before we have any more tantrums. Then as she walked away, I realized how I had missed an opportunity to say somthing little about the Lord, about how I have learned to train my children. I was stressed in the middle of it and was not ready to "give an answer for the hope that lies within", ugggghhh, why do I forget such important things?
   Anyways, just wanted to share that experience, it was a good reminder to me that I never know who is watching how I handle my children and to be ready to give a witty and intelligent answer that points to the Lord. After all, I would be clueless how to parent if it were not for the Word of God and the Spirit who gives wisdom!.

No comments:

Post a Comment