Friday, October 25, 2013

how school is going

   Now that the end of October is here, I look back at the past 4 weeks and think that we have gotten into a good routine, for which I am thankful! It seems the biggest things I learned last year while doing preschool stuff with the girls was to be flexible, enjoy the time we get to read aloud together and that they learn best when they are developmentally ready. Also, that I really need to have a planner for what I want to accomplish, as simple as it is at their ages. Even accomplishing things like what traditions our family wants to incorporate around the holidays, thankfulness, advent, serving others and how we want our children to learn to work cheerfully and handle money. It has made me realize that home educating is so much more than reading, 'riting and 'rithmatic! That planner has been excellent to keep me on track. I have also noticed that I can only plan so much for school and need to keep it somewhat short and sweet during the morning. They have shorter attention spans and I need to have time or energy for all the other household tasks and other people as well!

    Also, I have used the Sonlight scope and sequence as a guide for what I should be doing for the year, I like their approach, especially their emphasis on reading aloud, reading a variety of kinds books and focusing on particular things each year. Like this year, I have followed Sonlight's theme for ages 3-6, and most of our read aloud books have to do with God's creation and nature as well as other cultures around the world and how they live. I like the Charlotte Mason ideas as well, and am still learning how to apply it, more hands on learning, outdoors emphasis, living books, memory work and not all bookwork.

     So, I share what I am doing so that whoever is curious about what homeschooling looks like in my house can get a glimpse. Though I really believe that it will look different for every family, so of course, no comparing allowed! :  )

     3-4 mornings per week, I try to be home and we do school and I intersperse household chores while they are working on a page. Like folding laundry or prepping for dinner. So nice that my kitchen is right by our dining table. Sometimes J gets put into her pack'n'play with a toy, otherwise she likes to sit on the table and sample crayons. She is so busy, I really have to keep a flexible attitude so that I don't feel exasperated.
 
    Here is what I have for A this year:
    Teaching Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons- every day
    Funnix computer reading program
    Rod & Staff books for preschool/kindergarden (covers writing, math, sequences, sounds, etc)-most days
    " "       " "     color by number
    writing practice by copying memory verses

    Oral lessons with both girls:
    Language and Thinking for Young Children (vocabulary skills, memorizing, poetry, manners)- one day
    Patterns of Nature by Rod & Staff/Marbles to Magnets (science projects)- one book, one day per week
    read aloud books from the library, books lists from Sonlight and classical books- every day
    Math games- one day

    M: I am not to particular that she really be doing much school, but she of course wants to be doing what her sister is doing! She loves anything with paper and crayons. 
    Rod & Staff early pre-school books- every day
    " "          " "   color by number- some days
     Kumon tracing and cutting books- some days

     In addition, I have 6 small plastic bins that hold a variety of books, puzzles and such for quiet time that we have most afternoons. They really like this time of day! I think it helps everyone have a break and learn to entertain oneself, not have one's sister getting into your stuff and this mama really needs a cup of tea and quiet. Sometime that is with little J toddeling about, sometimes she is actually sleeping during the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment