Tuesday, June 24, 2014

an invasive vine

   I used to think it was a lovely plant that lined the roadside, pretty white flowers and trailing vines. But we have been pulling it out by the roots around our yard each spring for the past 3 years. Morning Glory. Did you know that it grows up around our plants, twirling right around the stalks, acting like it's part of the laurel or the peony or the butterfly bush? It grows like a weed and if it were not for the plants it climbs to reach the sun, it's vines would not have enough strength to hold the flowers up, so it would remain a ground cover. The puzzling thing is, it doesn't really suffocate the plants it grows up and around, but it is not supposed to be there! It does gradually takes over until, you don't see as much of the plant it was climbing, but all of a sudden you notice its covered in heart shaped leaves and white flowers. Pretty, but not meant to be there and taking the credit away from the real plant.
    Deep thoughts often escape me these days, but the invasive morning glory got me thinking about people. Like the seeds that fell on the different soils in that parable Jesus told in the NT. Specifically about the one where the weeds grew up with the good crops. People are complex and often my first impressions of others are wrong, it can take a while to get to know someone and see the fruit of their lives. So I started applying my observations of the morning glory's issues to myself. Do I know Jesus myself, or am I relying on someone else's faith. (Granted, there is a place for encouragement from others) But what am I living on? The actual Word? And am I living for His glory in who He made me to be, or am I looking around at others for approval? I suppose you could say the hidden plant is holding the morning glory up, like believers should encourage and bear eachother's burdens. But what stands out to me more is the image of taking advantage, not growing when one should~ remaining a spiritual babe, and too much focus on people rather than Jesus. It seems like it is one or the other, reflect Jesus or leech on to others for your strength and sustenance.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment